Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 1999 19:31:24 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Bill Fumerola <billf@jade.chc-chimes.com>
Cc:        "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>, advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More press

On Thu, Sep 09, 1999 at 01:20:18PM -0400, Bill Fumerola wrote:

> [redirected to -advocacy where this belonged first off]
>
> On Thu, 9 Sep 1999, Chris D. Faulhaber wrote:
>
> > There is a short but sweet[1] article on ZDNet today regarding FreeBSD:
> >
> > http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/screensavers/answerstips/story/0,3656,2324624,00.html
> >
> > Not too in-depth, but it gives a good quick overview, calling FreeBSD a
> > true Unix, emphasizing it's history compared to Linux.
>
> >From a link on that page:
>
>   At this point, for most purposes, there's no real difference
>   between Linux and BSD. Neither one is necessarily better than the
>   other. You should choose based on your own preferences and what
>   kind of support is available to you.

From futher down on the same link:

	But remember, truly portable Unix software runs on both
	platforms just fine.

Err, since when did Linux have FreeBSD binary compatibility? I guess they must mean "truly portable Unix source compiles and runs on both platforms"

I really like the last sentence though:

	The important thing is to learn some flavor of Unix because,
	in many ways, it's the operating system of the future.

Does Billy G read these columns I wonder?

> --
> - bill fumerola - billf@chc-chimes.com - BF1560 - computer horizons corp -
> - ph:(800) 252-2421 - bfumerol@computerhorizons.com - billf@FreeBSD.org  -

STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.