Date:      Fri, 21 Jun 1996 18:07:47 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Transferring drive from Solaris 2.4 to FreeBSD

Paul T. Root wrote in message ID
<199606211326.IAA02436@astro.acs.uswest.com>:
> I have a couple of SyQuest EZ135 drives, one on my Sparc Tadpole (Solaris 2.4
> )
> at work and one on my 486 FreeBSD box at home. The drive works great on
> both boxes, and the obvious next step is to have both machines use the
> same disk so I can move 100 Meg at a time without using the 28.8 line.

Even if you got SPARC to use PC partitioning, you can't get a SPARC to
read i386 filesystems ... the byte sex bites again (UFS/FFS is based
on a large number of structures, which are asuumed to never be needed
in anything other than processor byte order).

About the only way I can think of is to use something like tar to dump
to the EZ135 catridge like a tape and cart that back and forth (since
tar is a byte stream, no byte sex problems).

Gary