Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 1996 21:12:45 -0700 (MST)
From:      Ade Barkah <mbarkah@hemi.com>
To:        jfieber@indiana.edu (John Fieber)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, www@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Follow-up to FreeBSD documentation team status report.

> * Server config file arrangements.  The lastest apache port puts
>   config files in /usr/local/etc, log files in /var/log and such.
>   We may not want log files there as they get very big very fast.
>   Also need to arrange for rotating the logs.  (this has to be
>   done by root)

Easy to change fortunately. How far back are logs usually kept ?
I noticed on freefall we have access and error logs since October.
I see rotate_logs moving and gzipping the logs but I don't see
it ever erasing anything. =-) Total size, 33mb, so that's not too
bad.

> * Syncing with CVS.  Since the repository is on a different
>   machine, this mechanism will change.

Maybe just move the www CVS tree to spatter ? Solves a lot of
problems.

> * CGI scripts.  Some of these may have to continue living on
>   freefall. ...

How often are the mailing list archives updated ? db/text shows
the last update was three days ago. Which program(s) append
new mail to the archives ?

Also, I noticed from dmesg that waisq was dying with signal 11s.
Is this fixed? Btw, I suppose you guys noticed:

| sd0(ahc0:0:0): MEDIUM ERROR info:13b2d0 asc:14,0 Recorded entity
| not found, retries:4

on freefall. Last time I got that my hard drive didn't live very
long afterwards (cooling problems, seagate barracuda.)

Will... you still run a www server on freefall then, to support
the cgi ? Or move the cgis over to spatter as well and simply
have them access nfs-mounted data (cvs/mail archives) from
freefall ?

Lastly, all these cgi scripts probably should be rewritten in
Perl 5 using -w, strict, and taint checking.  I'm sure there's a
security hole in one of these Perl 4 scripts somewhere. =-)

> * Automate update and build.  This is currently done by
>   /usr/local/www/bin/webupdate.  Make any appropriate tweaks
>   and then hand it off to cron.

It doesn't look like there needs to be any changes if the CVS tree
is moved into spatter's ~ncvs(?). I can't seem to find any references
to webupdate from /etc/crontab or /etc/daily. Is this called from
someone's crontab right now ?

Thanks,

-Ade
ps. thanks for that rsync page, I was able to build a mirror
(freebsd.hemi.com) pretty easily. I read the old version and
almost got cvsup instead. =-)
Inet: mbarkah@hemi.com - HEMISPHERE ONLINE - <http://www.hemi.com/>;