Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2006 15:18:07 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Maxime Henrion <mux@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Importing csup into base

At 6:03 PM +0100 3/1/06, Maxime Henrion wrote:

>So I think it is now time to import csup in FreeBSD base system
>so that our users finally have a way to update their sources
>with a bare install, and am requesting comments/opinions/problem
>reports on the matter as long as it doesn't degenerate into a
>bikeshed.

I wonder if we should handle this more like perl (or X11?), where
it remains a port, but a port which is always installed along
with the base-system install.  My hope is that with the new
C-based implementation, 'csup' would be useful to other projects.
(any cvs-based open-source project, not just operating systems).

I would also be happy to see it as part of the freebsd base system,
so I only mention the above alternative because I'm wondering what
would be the best way to handle a project like this...

Whether or not it goes into the base system, I hope more people
can take the time to try it out, and make sure that it will be
well-tested.

>If you would like to see CVS mode happening and can spare some
>money, please consider making a donation to my Paypal account
>(id mux@FreeBSD.org).  I take advantage of this mail to thank
>Garance Drosehn that has generously donated me some money to
>help me on this task already.

I've contributed enough to keep him in caffeine, but certainly
not enough to be mistaken for a full-time employer...  :-)

I have been very happy to see all the recent progress.  Even
though I do like to work with multiple computer languages (and
in fact there is a lot I like about Modula-3), I do think a tool
such as cvsup needs to be in a more universally-available and
widely-known language.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org