Date:      Mon, 20 Dec 2010 02:32:05 +0000
From:      Frank Shute <frank@shute.org.uk>
To:        Rob <spamrefuse@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FBSD 8: custom kernel config ends boot at "mountroot>". Plz. help!

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 05:11:58AM -0800, Rob wrote:

> Hi,
>
> My system boots fine with the GENERIC kernel on FreeBSD 8.0
>
> I made a custom kernel, but the boot process then ends with the
>
> mountroot>
>
> error and prompt.
>
> Apparently something is wrong with my kernel config file.
>
> Can somebody check it below and tell me what is wrong with my kernel config
> file? Especially the GEOM_PART_* at the end might be the culprit, although this
> configuration used to work for 7.3.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Rob.
>
> # My kernel config file:
> cpu        I686_CPU
> ident        MYKERNEL
> options     SCHED_ULE        # ULE scheduler
> options     PREEMPTION        # Enable kernel thread preemption
> options     INET            # InterNETworking
> options     INET6            # IPv6 communications protocols
> options     SCTP            # Stream Control Transmission Protocol
> options     FFS            # Berkeley Fast Filesystem
> options     SOFTUPDATES        # Enable FFS soft updates support
> options     UFS_ACL            # Support for access control lists
> options     UFS_DIRHASH        # Improve performance on big directories
> options     COMPAT_FREEBSD7        # Compatible with FreeBSD7
> options     _KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # POSIX P1003_1B real-time extensions
> options     KBD_INSTALL_CDEV    # install a CDEV entry in /dev
> device        pci
> device        ata
> device        atadisk        # ATA disk drives
> options     ATA_STATIC_ID    # Static device numbering
> device        scbus        # SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
> device        da        # Direct Access (disks)
> device        pass        # Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
> device        atkbdc        # AT keyboard controller
> device        atkbd        # AT keyboard
> device        psm        # PS/2 mouse
> device        vga        # VGA video card driver
> device        splash        # Splash screen and screen saver support
> device        sc
> device        pmtimer
> device        loop        # Network loopback
> device        ether        # Ethernet support
> device        pty        # BSD-style compatibility pseudo ttys
> device        md        # Memory "disks"
> device        bpf        # Berkeley packet filter
> options SC_DISABLE_REBOOT
> options DEVICE_POLLING
> options HZ=1000
> nodevice mem
> nodevice io
> nodevice uart_ns8250
> nooptions GEOM_PART_BSD
> nooptions GEOM_PART_EBR
> nooptions GEOM_PART_EBR_COMPAT
> nooptions GEOM_PART_MBR

Rob,

If you're going to use a custom kernel, copy GENERIC, edit it and save
it as your kernel conf.

Then when you run into trouble with your custom kernel you can post a
diff(1) between it and GENERIC. Then it's easy to see what you've
enabled/disabled, left-out etc.

As it stands, it takes too much time for people to compare your custom
kernel with GENERIC.

Regards,

--

 Frank