Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 21:52:22 +0930
From:      "Rob" <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FFS on CD-ROM - can it be done?

Wise Ones,

I'm trying to put a FFS filesystem on CD-ROM. My current attempt builds
a virtual filesystem with vnconfig + disklabel + newfs, then writes the image
file using burncd. I end up with something that half works - df and fsdb can
see the filesystem, but ffsinfo and mount can't.

  # mount -r /dev/acd1c /mnt
  mount: /dev/acd1c on /mnt: incorrect super block
  # df -h /dev/acd1c
  Filesystem    Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
  /dev/acd1c    678M   256M   368M    41%
  # ffsinfo /dev/acd1c
  ffsinfo: partition is unavailable
  # fsdb -r /dev/acd1c
  ** /dev/acd1c (NO WRITE)

  CANNOT READ: BLK 2048
  CONTINUE? yes

  THE FOLLOWING DISK SECTORS COULD NOT BE READ:
  Examining file system `/dev/acd1c'
  Last Mounted on /var/spool/cdrom-images/mount
  current inode: directory
  I=2 MODE=40755 SIZE=512
   MTIME=Jul  6 16:17:23 2002 [0 nsec]
   CTIME=Jul  6 16:17:23 2002 [0 nsec]
   ATIME=Jul  6 16:23:36 2002 [0 nsec]
  OWNER=root GRP=wheel LINKCNT=5 FLAGS=0 BLKCNT=2 GEN=baec144
  fsdb (inum: 2)> q

An exchange on the NetBSD/Sparc list a couple of years ago[1] mentioned that
their CD-ROM driver doesn't actually read the disklabel but returns a
hardcoded ISO layout. On the other hand, Solaris CDs can be partitioned like
normal disks (the Software CD has 1 UFS slice and several HSFS slices). Does
FreeBSD support non-standard CD layouts?

Thanks for the help
Rob.

[1] http://www.netsys.com/netbsd-port-sparc/1999/04/msg00080.html

--
Trust the Computer. The Computer is your friend.