Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 23:41:22 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
Cc:        Alan Clegg <abc@shell.wetworks.org>, Christoph Sold <so@server.ms-agentur.de>, FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: find -exec Problem

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 10:59:14PM +0200, Christoph Sold wrote:

> Alan Clegg wrote:
> >
> > An SMTP stream claimed that I muttered:
> >
> > > # find . -type d -print -exec 'chmod o+rx {}';
> > > find: -exec: no terminating ";"
> > >
> > > To me, this command look like it is in sync wiht it's manpage. What am I
> > > doing wrong here?
> >
> > Add a \ before the ;
> >
> > ie:
> >
> > find . -type d -print -exec 'chmod o+rx {}' \;
>
> Nope. Problem remains. Yeah I'm running bash here.

The arguments of the -exec are loaded up to be exec(3)ed (don't have
source on this machine to look up exactly how find(1) works). If you
escape it like that, the whole works is seen by the shell as one
word and passed on as the command name. I get responses like,

  .
  find: chmod o+rx .: No such file or directory

If I try to run that. What is currious is that the '{}' substitution
still happens. I think I'll have to look at source for this
one. Curious.