Date:      Fri, 8 Jun 2001 09:55:35 -0400
From:      "Ken Menzel" <kenm@icarz.com>
To:        "Tom" <tom@uniserve.com>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
Cc:        "Mats Dufberg" <dufberg@nic-se.se>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   auto-negotiate/auto-detect was Re: Any patch for fxp driver?

Hi Tom,
      I have noticed a problem running my Dell with fxp0: <Intel
Pro10/100B/100+ Ethernet>.  If I use use mediaopt full-duplex,
suddenly I start losing packets sometimes with ping!  I don't notice
mush of a problem in running except that the program "netsaint" which
pings my other servers starts telling me I am losing packets (usually
1 of 5 is lost)! (It runs ping from a forked process, then in a shell
(with spopen() ) .  If I take out the mediaopt all runs well again
(with just media 100baseTX) and it also works with full auto
negotiation.
The reason I was messing at all with it is a statement from another
list about potential problems with auto-negotiation. So I am trying to
disprove that.
     I learned that if you use the mediaopt full-duplex setting I had
to program my switch to match (100baseTX full-duplex).  It would not
auto-detect the setting of the card (for duplex).  This could be the
root of the problem.  Maybe someone else could correct me,  but are
there any know problems using auto negotiation with recent
hardware/software?  I think not! However,  check the RMON stats on an
intelligent switch, or run software on the client to monitor
connections and errors (netstat -i, netstat -s).

Hoep this helps,
Ken