Date:      Sat, 04 Oct 2003 18:00:55 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gnomemeeting port fails

> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
> Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:44:42 -0400
>

> --=-XwM53zqdHAsoOy3fOpqg
>
> On Sat, 2003-10-04 at 20:42, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> > > Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2003 21:29:43 +0200 (CEST)
> > > From: Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
> > > Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
> > >=20
> > > On Sat, 4 Oct 2003, Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
> > >=20

> > > To be honest: I don't think I could use gnomemeeting, since my
> > > logitech webcam isn't supported by freebsd.
> > > Gnomemeeting simply makes my portupgrade if gnome2 fail.
> >=20
> > I don't see quite why this is happening, but openldap20-client
> > is in the dependencies list and it does install ldap.h. I suspect that
> > this is tied to the separation of openLDAP into client and server
> > packages.
> >=20
> > In any case, install openldap20-client and gnomemeeting should build.
> >=20
> > At this time FreeBSD is lacking the framework for any standardized
> > video support which would be required for anything like standard
> > video support. The only real video available is with the BKTR
> > driver. This chip (BrooKTRee) is found in the majority of the video
> > for windows boards including those from Hauppauge and Pinnacle. I use
> > a cheap ($25 US) WinTV-Go card and it works.
> >=20
> > You can use GnomeMeeting without a video card to participate in
> > meetings. You will have full audio support and will receive video. You
> > only lack video send capability.
> >=20
> > I have found one problem with pwlib (upon which GnomeMeeting is built)
> > in that it will re-read the same video frame over and over again,
> > eating up all available CPU IF THERE IS NO MOVEMENT.=20
> >=20
> > This is a problem with the video4bsd module and can be worked around
> > by adding a usleep at the start of the
> > PVideoInputDevice::GetFrameDataNoDelay routine in
> > /usr/ports/devel/pwlib/work/pwlib/src/ptlib/unix/video4bsd.cxx.
> >   (void) usleep(33000); /* Don't keep reading the same frame! */
> >=20
> > This is a ugly, ugly kludge and I can see some better ways to fix
> > this, but I simply have not had time to look do this. (Volunteers are
> > welcome!)
>
> Have you pinged Roger about this?
>
> Joe

He and I have exchanged quite a bit of mail. While he has ported the
latest GnomeMeeting, he has not had much time for it of late. He will
likely get it fixed before I do as I am also very time challenged at
the moment.

As for a video framework to provide general "webcam" support, I have
seen it discussed, I don't know if anyone is working on it.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)