Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 1998 19:12:46 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Rainer Enders <renders@erilab.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DEC DE500-BA support and 100TX how?

[detaching linux-tulip]

On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Rainer Enders wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have problems to get my servers working in 100TX mode. The DEC DE500-BA
> behaves different with different switching hubs. On the Cabletron SmartSwitch
> 6000 I can get it working with some funny procedure:
>
> - Boot it up with the port configured to 10 MBps fixed. So the network
>    interface will come up.
> - Then switch the port to 100TX (force it). And then pull the cable off
>    the port and put it back (1-2 times).
> - Then switch the port to autonegotiation or to 100TX (either will work
>    from time to time and bring up the 100TX mode).
> - If this fails repeat the whole process until it works.
>
> With the BayStack 350 I don't have any luck with this procedure. I can't
> get it to work in 100TX mode neither forced nor autonegotiated.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 100BaseTX!  Yes, autonegotiation is
flakey as all hell, and bad cabling will just make it worse.

I suggest:

1.  Forcing the speed on *both*sides*.  Use the card configuration utility
to fix it in the NIC.
2.  Use really good quality CAT 5 cabling and try to keep it away from big
motors and such.

> Who is maintaining the drivers for FreeBSD for this NIC card?

It's maintained by a third party, the name escapes me.  It's the same
driver as is in NetBSD.