Date:      Mon, 20 Oct 2003 15:49:59 -0400
From:      Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
To:        sarat chandra Annadata <saratchandra_a@yahoo.com>, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, mgrooms@shrew.net, julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: Help Broadcasting a UDP packet on the LAN:URGENT

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 08:00:19PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:

> Undirected broadcasts will only work if you do the following:-

I've pointed out before that the gross hack of assigning IP address
255.0.0.0/8 to the desired interface should work.  I've just confirmed
that doing that, on RELENG_5_1 and RELENG_4, does result in ping
255.255.255.255 sending ICMP packets out with that dest addr.  I have
not personally tested UDP on FreeBSD, but this hack used to work
on Irix, which at least back then had a bsd-derived network stack,
to enable bootp to work with no kernel mods.

--
Barney Wolff         http://www.databus.com/bwresume.pdf
I'm available by contract or FT, in the NYC metro area or via the 'Net.