Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 10:21:51 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Different kernels for the bindist and boot.flp?

[Not sent to -questions, since it's not a question about using FreeBSD,
 I *think* -hackers is the more appropriate forum for this]

ObCaveat: I know very little about how "make release" works and the specific
in's and out's of the install process. At the moment I'm just "thinking
out loud".

I've been thinking about installing FreeBSD from a ZIP drive recently. I'm
in the situation where my home machine has (or rather, will have) no direct
net connection. It will have a CDROM drive and a ZIP drive. At the office,
I have a moderately speedy net connection and access to a ZIP drive. So
I'm downloading the bin and src dists, will put them to a ZIP disk (actually,
two, since I want to test installing from a UFS formatted ZIP and a DOS
formatted ZIP). Other options (such as taking the machine to the net
connection) are not feasible.

I imagine this sort of scenario is reasonably commonplace (people like me
at work, students with a fast university net connection but no connection
to their machine, that sort of thing).

Since I'm using SCSI, this will (should?) work painlessly. However, if I
had an IDE ZIP drive it wouldn't since (as far as I know) GENERIC doesn't
include the drivers shown at http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/ppa3.html
necessary for IDE ZIP support.

Thinking about this, it occured to me it could be fixed by splitting the
bin distribution into 2. The first chunk would contain almost all the
existing bin dist, minus /kernel and /sys/i386/conf/KERNEL_NAME. These
missing bits would be in a seperate distribution.

As a user, installing FreeBSD would then be a case of

    1. Download the bin dist

    2. Download the appropriate kernel dist

           GENERIC_KERNEL
           IDEZIP_KERNEL
           . . .                     <- Other specific kernels, as necessary

    3. Download the appropriate boot.flp image (generic_boot.flp,
       idezip_boot.flp, and so on)

    4. Write and boot from the chosen boot floppy.

The rest of the installation would proceed as normal, the only difference
(in the IDEZIP case) being that the ZIP drive would appear as another (DOS
or UFS) disk to mount, with the user using the "Install from another mounted
partition" option (or whatever it's called these days).

I don't think this is a small project, since it impacts on the release
process and sysinstall (and, potentially, son-of-sysinstall). There are
also issues over the lack of ability to logical-or kernel attributes
together ("I'd like the IDE kernel components, the SCSI components and the
ZIP components, but not the video-capture card components please" isn't
possible).

There are also documentation issues, since installing the system with this
method (potentially) includes more for the user to remember.

Before I start thinking about a prototype implementation,

  a) Has anyone else looked at doing something like this?

  b) Does anyone have violent objections to doing something like this?

  c) Does anyone have any insight on the best way to implement something
     like this?

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
      '|' "Ceci n'est pas une pipe." (with apologies to Magritte)    NC5-RIPE