Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2007 14:51:38 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@deepcore.dk>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Barney Cordoba <barney_cordoba@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any successful installs on a Broadcom HT1000 chipset?

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2007 02:45:16 am S=F8ren Schmidt wrote:
>  =20
>> John Baldwin wrote:
>>    =20
>>> FYI, I've seen weird in-memory corruption with machines with the HT10=
00_S1=20
>>> atapci device.  In all the cases I've seen so far, a single page is c=
orrupted=20
>>> with garbage and the page happens to be used by UMA to hold credentia=
ls=20
>>> including proc0's credentials.  I've seen this corruption (trashed cr=
eds for=20
>>> proc0 and other creds in that page) on many of the same boxes (Dell 1=
435's=20
>>> IIRC) running on 6.2.  I've tried switching the HT1000_S1 to use SWKS=
MIO=20
>>> rather SWKS100 as I mentioned to you in an earlier e-mail (the Linux =
driver=20
>>> uses equivalent of SWKSMIO FWIW) but don't have any conclusive tests =
on that.

>>>  =20
>>>      =20
>> OK, seems the chipset has some real problems, I have digged through al=
l=20
>> the (very little) docs and info I got from serverworks back when, and =

>> the only thing I can find is that the chips doesn't support MSI in any=
=20
>> shape or fashion or it will do really strange things.
>> Now on my system it seems to be disabled but I'm not sure yet how its =

>> determined to be that way. Would be worth for you guys to check what t=
he=20
>> sysctl's "hw.pci.enable_msi" and "hw.pci.enable_msix" are set to.
>> I havn't looked into this yet, but I'm pretty sure we added MSI suppor=
t=20
>> in the 6.2 -> 7.0 timeframe, so that might have uncovered this chipset=
=20
>> bug, and possibly the Promise data corruption one as well.
>>    =20
>
> The ata driver doesn't use MSI (no calls to pci_msi_count or pci_msi_al=
loc,
> etc.), so this isn't an issue.  Also, the boxes I've seen the corruptio=
n on
> already have MSI disabled (it's still disabled by default in 6.x).
>  =20
OK, its must be *totally* disabled not just for ATA but for everything=20
on those chipsets or they'll barf all over the place.
If we do that already we need to look into other places.
However, if we are dealing with in-memory corruption this is going to=20
get "interesting"....
Does that also happen if nothing uses DMA ?

-S=F8ren