Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 2004 00:51:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      doug@safeport.com
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp busy

A suggestion from a Jan 2004 thread worked for me:

   Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2004 08:42:07 -0500 (EST)
   From: Stephen Martin <jyroscop@cotse.com>
   To: geert.hendrickx@ua.ac.be
   Cc: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
   Subject: Re: /dev/dsp: Device busy

   Geert,

   I was having this specific problem when trying to use mplayer. What I did
   was change the "Autosuspend if idle for" setting. It can be found in
   Control Center -> Sounds & Multimedia -> Sound System -> aRTs tab (feels
   vaguely like describing a windows problem :). I set mine at 5 seconds.
   Your's will of coarse depend.

In my case a reboot was required after changing the setting. This thread was
describing FreeBSD 4.9 and kde 3.2. I am running 5.3R and kde 3.3.0. The /dev/dsp busy
condition seems to occur across a number of PCs and sound cards.

I had also added the following to /boot/device.hints:

     hint.pcm.0.at="isa"
     hint.pcm.0.irq="5"
     hint.pcm.0.drq="1"
     hint.pcm.0.flags="0x0"

I have since removed these statements and have no evidence they had any effect. Other
than the kde setting the only change related to sound is hw.snd.verbose=3 in
/etc/sysctl.conf.