Date:      Tue, 13 Jun 2000 14:21:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Bob Parkinson <rwp@biome.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dialup problems

I'm having real problem, with something that should (?) be dead obvious.

Can't get a dialup line working, that has been working for about 5
months. This is after a recent upgrade to 4.0.

My modem is only autoanswering in some situations, when I have some
'active' ('ish) process sitting on the serial port, eg.
kermit -l /dev/ttyd1   and it answers OK. Come out of kermit, and try to
dial in to get a simple terminal style (getty) connection, and the modem
does not pick up the line. Tried a couple of different modems, and a
couple of different serial cables.

Cheers,

Bob Parkinson
rwp@biome.ac.uk
Technical Manager: 		Biome  	       http://biome.ac.uk/

Greenfield Medical Library,
Queens Medical Centre,
Nottingham.			              0115 9249924 x 42059