Date:      Wed, 24 Jul 2002 15:53:21 +0200
From:      Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.ORG>, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>, freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Scripting languages (was: Re: Package system flaws?)

On Tue, Jul 23, 2002 at 09:48:17PM +0100, Mark Valentine wrote:
> > There's room for a real language instead of just extending sh.
>
> There are plenty to choose from, but there are currently no clear candidates
> for the base system.

well, I have a very low knowledge about zsh, but it has many features
(maybe too much, IMHO) such as associative arrays and builtin dynamic

> Considering the amount of code I've written in it, the Bourne shell seems
> "real" enough for me.
>
> And it's already installed.

personnaly, I prefer ksh over sh. unfortunately, ksh93 isn't usable
and ksh88 (or pdksh) are missing some stuffs like associative arrays,
builtin dynamic loading (pdksh), etc.

Cyrille.
--
Cyrille Lefevre                 mailto:cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net