Date:      Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:50:19 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        "John Du" <jjohndu@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 5.3 for SPARC64 does not find SCSI disks on Unltra 1E

On Nov 19, 2004, at 3:57 PM, John Du wrote:

>> On Nov 18, 2004, at 5:37 PM, John Du wrote:
>>
>>> I downloaded and burned the ISO images on CDs.  The first CD boots
>>> OK. When trying to partition the disks, the installer displays a
>>> message saying no disks found.
>>>
>>> The FreeBSD SPARC64 hardware list has the Ultra 1E as supported.
>>> What do I have to do to install FreeBSD 5.3 on the SCSI disks on the
>>> Ultra 1E?
>>
>> Did the kernel find the disks? If the kernel did find the disks, then
>> it might be that you need to clean the disks (clobber the first couple
>> of sectors on the disk).
>

> Thanks Marcel.  No, the kernel does not see the disk. I dropped to the
> command line and typed "lsdev".  The command lists nothing under block
> devices.

lsdev is a loader command. It may not tell you what you need to know. In
particular it won't tell you if the kernel will detect the SCSI disks.
It's probably a good idea to use a serial console, boot the kernel with
-v and send us the boot log.

HTH,

--
  Marcel Moolenaar         USPA: A-39004          marcel@xcllnt.net