Date:      Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:47:33 +0100
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Chris H." <chris#@1command.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading to 7.0 - stupid requirements

Chris H. wrote:

> While not a recommended substitution for "good housekeeping". I thought it
> worth mentioning:
> LIBMAP.CONF(5)
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=libmap.conf&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.3-RELEASE&format=html

This can be used safely sometimes, but it is dangerous when attempting
to work around library version issues.  In general, library version
numbers change because the libraries are incompatible, and if you force
the issue with libmap (or its cruder cousin, ln -s) you will begin to
enumerate the ways in which they are not compatible when your
application crashes or misbehaves.

Using libmap should not be thought of as a solution unless you know what
you are doing and can verify that it is safe on a case by case basis.

This may sound like pedantic advice, but I have dealt with many mailing
list users who are all up in arms about "how crap the ports collection
has become..nothing works any more...freebsd is dying...and *mumble
mumble* when I botched an upgrade a few months ago I symlinked all the
missing libraries to new versions...don't do that you say?  But that
cannot possibly be related...oh wait it was, okbye."

Kris