Date:      Sun, 6 Nov 2016 22:54:42 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        Bryan Drewery <bdrewery@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Use of env SRC_ENV_CONF=. . . for buildworld does not override/avoid use of /etc/src.conf : Intentional?

[The original of this message was not delivered to two of the places it =
was sent to. This retries sending to just those places.]

On 2016-Nov-4, at 9:40 AM, Bryan Drewery <bdrewery at FreeBSD.org> =
wrote:

> On 11/3/2016 5:28 PM, Mark Millard wrote:
>> I just had a case of "odd" command text in a buildworld that was =
based on (in part) env SRC_ENV_CONF=3D. . .
>>=20
>> env __MAKE_CONF=3D. . . does not get the kind of behavior reported =
below for /etc/src.conf .
>>=20
>> Overall this means that even with an explicit env SRC_ENV_CONF=3D. . =
. one must separately prevent /etc/src.conf from contributing if the =
SRC_ENV_CONF file is intended to cover everything.
>=20
> SRC_ENV_CONF is kind of a special hack to allow setting some specific
> values that feasibly can't be set later.  Just stick to src.conf =
unless
> you need to set one of the options that requires src-env.conf.
>=20
> --=20
> Regards,
> Bryan Drewery

Understood (now): intentional for sure. Thanks to Renato Botelho and you =
for
making clear that I'd read something into the description that just was =
not
written into the description.

For now I've adopted using an explicit env SRCCONF=3D"/dev/null" in the =
scripts as
the means of avoiding an unexpected contribution and I still have env =
SRC_ENV_CONF=3D
use for picking out the file: I then do not have to worry about if I =
reference
any of the special values in the file referenced or not, nor about what
/etc/src-env.conf or /etc/src.conf might have in them.

I may change this at some point and follow your suggestion to just use =
SRCCONF=3D
to find the file because as time goes on it looks more like I'm unlikely =
experiment with any "special values" in the files.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
markmi at dsl-only.net