Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:42:46 -0000
From:      "Newton, Harry" <NewtonHa@logica.com>
To:        "'Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>'" <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>, "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Crash dumps during initialisation

I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here. What does the kernel do
if it panics before the /etc/rc script is run ? (i.e. before the dumpon
command is issued ). I can't believe that it reads /etc/rc.conf and locates
the dump_dev entry to determine where it should put the crash dump. In
4.4BSD one could specify:

but this no longer exists in FreeBSD ? Is this right, and why ?