Date:      20 Oct 2002 11:45:40 -0700
From:      swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        "E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATI Radeon 7000 VE and XFree86

"E. J. Cerejo" <ejcerejo@yahoo.com> writes:

> I've got it running, actually i hadn't realized (when
> going through the xf86config) that all the ATI cards
> used the same driver "ATI" and because I didn't see an
> option for the radeon I thought wasn't available.  I'm
> running the latest XFree86 4.2.

Well, I hadn't realized that either until now.  My XF86Config
calls for driver "radeon", not "ati".  But XFree86 seems to not
care; it uses modules with both names, regardless.

> and the highest resolution supported is 1280x1024 / 65
> Hz is there a way to find out exactly what refresh
> rate is my monitor using and how to increase it?

Like I said, don't forget "xvidtune".  It allows you to play
with such things and gives you the mode line to accomplish it.
But first ensure that your XF86Config has proper "HorizSync"
and "VertRefresh" limits set to reduce risk to your monitor
and/or graphics card.

> I have no idea why the Mouse1 error!  I thought I
> didn't have the Speedo fonts but they are there so I
> don't know why this error also!

The mouse configuration documentation is fairly good.  Read
that from xfree86.org and the "moused" manual.  You don't HAVE
to use "moused", IIRC, but it seems to be the best scheme. Play
with it before starting X to get it working (see /etc/rc.conf
and its manual), change XF86Config, try X.  It depends on your
mouse, not your graphics card.  I have

XF86Config:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier	"Mouse1"