Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2008 20:20:05 +1100
From:      Jerahmy Pocott <quakenet1@optusnet.com.au>
To:        "Philip M. Gollucci" <philip@ridecharge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Sendmail: "exposed" root, why?

On 09/01/2008, at 5:26 AM, Philip M. Gollucci wrote:

> There is no directive, but you can edit the resultant .cf file
> and remove the line
> C{E}root
> or root from that line if more than one user.

> Be warned, you _will_ break /etc/crontab and periodic scripts mail
> delivery.
>
> The reason it needs to be exposed is probably these scripts because
> other wise the from address for daily security scripts will be
> root@<masquerade> rather than root@machine.domain.  Now, it so
> happens that most of these e-mails have the machine name in the
> subject or what not.

I guess I will just try not exposing root and see what happens..

I don't really see why the crontab and periodic mail would
get broken though? Other than it having the wrong host in
the From: field, the subject line would still say the correct
host..

Or will it break it in some other way?

Cheers,
J.