Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 04:32:47 -0700
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: State of the Handbook

Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org> writes:
>  2.  Supplement the ASCII art with images.
>
>      Something else on WRS' todo list, although it doesn't prevent anyone
>      else with an artistic bent from picking some of the existing ASCII art
>      and producing images for it as well.  WRS expect to have this done by
>      the end of August.

Do we have a mechanism so that we can keep the ASCII art and display
it where necessary?  I.e., I'd rather not see the ASCII art thrown
away; not everybody wants to start a graphics-capable browser to read
the docs (I know I don't).

>  3.  Stylesheet and wordlist
>
>      We're quite inconsistent about the use and spelling of terms,
>      and the stylesheet for authors is quite small.  We're talking to
>      O'Reilly about the licensing behind their stylesheet and wordlist
>      at http://www.oreilly.com/oreilly/author/stylesheet.html and the
>      possiblity of making this available to all open source documentation
>      projects (probably as a guide).

I'm not quite sure what this is.  Is this a stylesheet as in a DSSSL
stylesheet?  It seems that the link above is what we need; it talks
about how certain things should be written, etc.  Do we need a license
to look at it?  Or am I missing something?

>  5.  Integration of Randy Pratt's install guide to replace much of the
>      existing material in chapter 2.

I haven't read Randy Pratt's install guide, but just about anything is
better than the outdated stuff we have!  Unless somebody else (e.g.,
Randy Pratt) wants to do this, I will (or I'll check in someone else's
patches to do it).

>  6.  Licensing
>
>      Some sections of the Handbook are under inconsistent copyrights
>      and licenses.  I (nik) would like the entirety of the Handbook (and
>      indeed, the FreeBSD docs as a whole) to be available under a consistent
>      license, with the copyright transferred to a single entity --
>      probably the FreeBSD Foundation.  Where sections of the Handbook do
>      not do this, we will be contacting the original authors to ask them
>      whether they would consider relicensing their work.  If they are not
>      happy for this to happen then we will need to replace the content
>      with text under a 'free-er' license.

I don't see a problem with individual copyright holders as long as
they're using a reasonable license.  Their name in the copyright
notice is also a form of credit; not everybody thinks it's appropriate
to clutter the main text with "I rewrote this" type of attributions.

>   8.  Removing some content to other documents.
>
>       As a minimum, we expect to move the following chapters and/or
>       sections
>
>       Source Tree Guidelines and Policies     -> Developer's Handbook
>       Kernel Debugging                        -> Developer's Handbook

Perhaps now's a good time to bring this up: what exactly is the
Developer's Handbook supposed to be?  Right now, it seems it's a more
advanced (read: more technical) version of the Handbook.  This is
good, but it contains three types of content: general programming
information (e.g., sockets), FreeBSD-specific programming information
(e.g., kernel API), and (soon?  already?) general information
for/about FreeBSD developers and/or the development process (e.g.,
source tree guidelines).  It would be nice to break up it into those
three sections, but at least the latter bits (info for/about FreeBSD
developers) shouldn't be in it.  Perhaps we can take that and the
Committer's Guide and make it into The Big Book of the FreeBSD
Community (please don't use that name, though!).

>       PC Hardware Compatability               -> Book in its own right (?)

This should probably be in the relnotes.

>       Bibliography                            -> Book in its own right (?)

Erm, the bibliography should really stay with the document (book) that
it goes along with.  However, the Handbook's Bibliography section
should be spelled Other Links.

>   9.  Adding additional content
>
>       Chern Lee is working on a chapter for "Configuration and Tuning",
>       and Chris Shumway is working on extending the X11 chapter.

Yes!  This is exactly what we need more of.  We have plenty of people
doing the minor whitespace/spelling fixes, but we've been down on new
or updated content lately (and I'm not helping :-/).

And while WRS is sponsering this stuff, perhaps they can get another
computer to act as www.freebsd.org; having freefall do that isn't good
for security.  Oh, and maybe they can help fix the "broken Handbook"
problem that comes up every so often on the lists; it's quite real,
and is happening more and more often now :-/.

Regards,

					Dima Dorfman
					dima@unixfreak.org