Date:      Fri, 10 Nov 2006 17:09:11 -0500
From:      Michael Proto <mproto@secureworks.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcw@highperformance.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Compiler Options

>From /usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk:

# On the i386, do not align the stack to 16-byte boundaries.  Otherwise GCC
# 2.95 adds code to the entry and exit point of every function to align the
# stack to 16-byte boundaries -- thus wasting approximately 12 bytes of
stack
# per function call.  While the 16-byte alignment may benefit micro
benchmarks,
# it is probably an overall loss as it makes the code bigger (less efficient
# use of code cache tag lines) and uses more stack (less efficient use
of data
# cache tag lines).  Explicitly prohibit the use of SSE and other SIMD
# operations inside the kernel itself.  These operations are exclusively
# reserved for user applications.
#
.if ${MACHINE_ARCH} == "i386" && ${CC} != "icc"
CFLAGS+=        -mno-align-long-strings -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 \
                -mno-mmx -mno-3dnow -mno-sse -mno-sse2
INLINE_LIMIT?=  8000
.endif

-Proto