Date:      Sun, 16 Nov 2008 14:03:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      chrisa@uvic.ca
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My GNOME2 cannot work!

> On 11/16/08, Bear <jilingshu@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi,
>>  I have use these commands to install GNOME to my new-installed FreeBSD
>> 7.0:
>>
>>  pkg_add -r xorg
>>  pkg_add -r gnome-session
>>  pkg_add -r gnome2-lite
>>
>>  and then,I reboot my computer and use user Bear to login.
>>  then I type in
>>
>>  echo "/usr/local/bin/gnome-session" > ~/.xinitrc
>>
>>  then I type in
>>
>>  startx
>>
>>  but it give me a error
>>  the summary of the error is below:
>>
>>  Could not lock the file "/var/tmp/gconf-test-locking-file-CB9IKU"
>>  The error was "Invalid argument"(errno = 22)
>>
>>  What Can I Do??thx!
>>
>>  BTW:I have been set my PACKAGEROOT to
>> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-current/Lat
>>  est/
>>
> Uninstall all the packages that were installed from the above
> PACKAGEROOT, then set PACKAGEROOT to either:
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7.0-release/Latest
>
> or
>
> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/Latest
>
> The packages you had installed were built for FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT,
> they are not compatible with FreeBSD 7.0.
>
> Also, make sure that /var/tmp has the permissions 1777 set:
>
> # ls -l /var/ | grep tmp
> drwxrwxrwt  12 root    wheel   1536 Nov 16 10:56 tmp
>
> Scot

I have the same problem with my gnome install. I'm running 7.0-RELEASE #0
with packages from 7-stable, and the same thing is happening. And the
permissions for /var/tmp are set correctly: when I look in /var/tmp after
the failure, it has created the file: it just claims that it can't lock
it.

Maybe it's a bug in the latest gnome.