Date:      Tue, 23 Nov 1999 18:32:36 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org (Mark Ovens)
Cc:        james.wilde@telia.com (James A Wilde), freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Programmers' editor?

Mark Ovens babbled:
> Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 21:40:41 +0000
> From: Mark Ovens <mark@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
> To: James A Wilde <james.wilde@telia.com>
> Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

> If you type ``:viusage'' it will give you a list of commands.

Wow!  In all the years I've been using vi, I never ran across that one.
I wonder whether there's any way to print that out to use as a cheat
sheet.  Interestingly, that command doesn't work on this here IRIX box.

> Look in the editors section of the ports/pcakages, read the
> descriptions, install one or more, try them out, then delete the
> ones you don't like. This is not flippant answer; editors are a
> real personal preference (religious wars are fought over vi versus
> emacs) so only you can know which you consider a good choice for
> your needs. Personally I use vi(1) all the time, even on Windows
> boxes :)

Ditto.  In fact, I have both vim and Lemmy on my NT notebook, and have
found Lemmy to be the best implementation of vi I've tried yet.   Porting
or cloning Lemmy to FreeBSD would be a Good Idea, but I can't program
myself out of a wet paper bag.  Does anyone else here have any experience
with Lemmy?

Oh, and Lemmy doesn't recognize :viusage.  I guess nothing's perfect.

--
Jerry Dunham                     FreeBSD                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

                              E Pluribus Unix