Date:      Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:20:37 -0500
From:      dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net>
To:        PK1048 <paul@pk1048.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Quick Hard Drive Error Question

On 2015-08-17 1:05 pm, PK1048 wrote:
> On Aug 17, 2015, at 8:56, dweimer <dweimer@dweimer.net> wrote:
>
>> I have an external SATA drive dock that I use to write backups to, I
>> have steadily been getting more parity/CRC errors over the last couple
>> of weeks.
>>
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0):
>> WRITE_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 61 00 70 e7 53 40 85 00 00 01 00 00
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): CAM status:
>> Uncorrectable parity/CRC error
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): Retrying command
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0):
>> READ_FPDMA_QUEUED. ACB: 60 70 d0 c6 1c 40 84 00 00 00 00 00
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): CAM status:
>> Uncorrectable parity/CRC error
>> Aug 17 00:14:14 freebsd kernel: (ada4:ahcich5:0:0:0): Retrying command
>>
>> I have ran smart tests on the drives, they report no errors, hers the
>> most recent summary line from the currently mounted drive.
>
> Are there any port multipliers involved ? When I had 4 SATA drives
> behind a port multiplier I had these type of errors frequently under
> high load. I was using ZFS so dialed back the outstanding queue depth
> from 10 to 2 to reduce load and the errors went away. I have since
> gone to one port per drive (and went back to the default queue depth
> of 10) and have not had the problem recur…
>
> But, I have seen a “finicky-ness” between eSATA ports and cables.
> Certain cables work on certain ports but not on others. Have you tried
> substituting the eSATA cable ? A different eSATA port perhaps ?

No multipliers, 1 drive on the port, don't have another eSATA cable just
the one that currently in use. It was running fine over five months on
the current cables. I did disconnect and reconnect the cables to make
sure it wasn't just a lose cable. They are not regularly moved around,
which could lead to material fatigue. Of course the disks are swapped
weekly, so it could be the docks connection to the disk that is the week
point. I have periodically seen an error or two like this, if they are
frequent I dismount and re-seat the disk then all would clear up. That's
not working now and the errors are happening more frequently. Hopefully
once installed I will be OK, if not, at least I have gained the SATA III
performance and I can start looking into other possibilities.

--
Thanks,
    Dean E. Weimer