Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:58:38 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@anchoragerescue.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Copying directories contents

In the last episode (Oct 01), Beech Rintoul said:
> I'm need to take the contents including dotfiles from about 300 user
> directories and move them into another set of identical directories on
> another filesystem. Is there an easy script to do this? I dont want to
> overwrite the contents of the target directories just add to them.
> Both filesystems are mounted on the source machine.

tar cf - user1 user2 user3 user4 | ( cd /destination ; tar xpf - )

Change "tar xpf" to "tar xpkf" if you don't want to overwrite exisitng
files in the destination directory.

"cp -r" might work also; I have never tried it when the destination was
aready populated with files, though.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com