Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2007 22:03:44 -0400
From:      Steve Bertrand <iaccounts@ibctech.ca>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Kevin Bortis <wermut@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: dualstack IPv4/IPv6 ADSL PPPoE configuration?

>> The only IPv6 related info I have from the ISP is the address of the
>> subnet.
>
> To implement dual-stack PPPoE setup you can use ppp or net/mpd4. Can't
> say for sure about ppp, but with mpd all you need to do is to enable
> ipv6cp protocol. After this daemon except IPv4 will also negotiate IPv6
> link-level addresses. All you need to do after that is to somehow
> configure interface with your real IPv6 addresses using some daemon or
> statically.

Due to interest, I'd like to keep this thread alive.

Does anyone have a working config that is capable of what the OP asked
(dual stack IPv6 and IPv4) in a PPPoE environment?

I can post an mpd4 working config that does multilink bonding in IPv4.
However, getting this to work with IPv6 as well would be a good thing
for Google to capture.

I don't have an upstream that does v6 yet, but I do have a v6 block. Is
it as simple as assigning a static to the tunnel interface after it
comes up and having your ISP route the block to you?

With the above suggestion, I just want to understand the 'somehow
configure' part...

If this doesn't go far here, I will push it to some of my IPv6 and/or
network operations lists to get suggestions and report back.

If anyone has the ability to trade off a PPPoE login for a brief period
that has v6 capabilities, it would be MOST appreciated. Even a login
without traffic transit capabilities would be great.

If someone could provide such a PPPoE login with v6 and v4 access to
test that has operational authority within their network, I would gladly
work with them and dedicate as much of the resources and hardware this
ISP has to ensure adequate documentation is provided to the community as
to how IPv6 and IPv4 dual-stack configuration is done in regards to
PPPoE, particularly with mpd4 and more specifically FreeBSD.

Thus far, there is no such documentation.

Cc'ing -isp.

Steve

--
Steve Bertrand