Date:      Sun, 31 Jan 1999 20:41:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@monmouth.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: From Slashdot...

> If I wanted a Unix machine purely for the desktop today, I'd install
> Linux.  It has all the multimedia frobs, support for exotic 3D gfx and
> sound cards, desktop applications, you name it.  FreeBSD has a pool of
> about 50 users who feel about as strongly about the desktop, it seems,
> and that's just not enough to reach critical mass, especially when
> those users are not also software developers who can actually write
> drivers and improve existing support.

I spent two days at work doing that.
No luck.  Intermittant keyboard lockups and SCSI problems with the 2842
disk controller with Caldera 1.3.  Better, but not quite right with
Red Hat.

Booted FreeBSD.  Up in two hours.
I'd like to see CDE up on it so it would match in with the Solaris stuff
at work.  It actually might have more desktop penetration then.
However, the CDE costs too much for me to invest in it to show the
management on spec.

It also is priced out of range for my house.  I did pick up cheap Moo-tiff
Motif for home, though.  Works pretty well with stuff, but now I've
gone 3.0-STABLE and ELF so I may have to swallow and repurchase...

> - Jordan

Bill
---
  Bill Gates is a Persian cat and a monocle away from being a
  villain in a James Bond movie              -- Dennis Miller
  bpechter@shell.monmouth.com|pechter@pechter.nws.net|pechter@pechter.ddns.org