Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 13:04:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      The Utz Family <utz@serv.net>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gnome-session, /dev/dsp busy, soundserver?

hello

On Fri, 15 Dec 2000, Christoph Kukulies wrote:

> In the course of searching a suitable sound editor beside DAP,

writing one of these is my long standing dream. and i think it will be xt
based, no toolkits.

> I came across /usr/ports/audio/sweep today (on recommendation of a
> coreader in this list), had to go through gnome-core installation just to
> run this tool, one tool depends on the other and so on, you all may
> know this game :-)

gnome is nice, but it's so big and slow. sound on freebsd has problems
enuf already :-(

> gnome-session wants to play some snartch, click, boing audio samples
> when certain events occur.
>
> Now my question to make  a long story short:
>
> How can different applications share the sound device (/dev/dsp)?
> I believe the answer is 'soundserver'. Is there such under FreeBSD?

bad news, gnome-session is using esound ( from enlightenment ) as the
gatekeeper to /dev/dsp. that's why /dev/dsp appears busy to the apps that
call /dev/dsp - which is *most* of them because calling the devices has
been the approved way to do hardware type stuff in unix since time
immemorial.

i dont know for sure, but i am betting that esound is derived from the
sndserver code, sndserver used to be what one used to play doom and
COW-netreck in the good old days.

the 'right' answer is for /dev/dsp to be a multi-threaded reentrant kinda
thang.

but it's a device driver in a kernel. so the kernel's gotta get fixed
....argh, here we are again. same place it's been since i started running
FreeBSD v0.9x. It's obviously a very hard problem because we have been
dealing with it by creating userland hacks for many years now.

so, you either use gnome/esound, and port all of the existing /dev/dsp
code to use esound, or you dont use gnome/esound and you get to still use
/dev/dsp. but then the esound stuff like sweep doesnt work because it has
no ui or device connection :-(

sigh.

johnu

(aka spaz@u.washington.edu if any of you have that lengthy of a