Date:      Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:39:40 -0500
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Harti Brandt <harti@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Andrey V. Elsukov" <bu7cher@yandex.ru>, net@freebsd.org, Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk>, Doug Barton <dougb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Instructing dhclient to set hostname of client

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

On Tue, Oct 24, 2006 at 09:16:07AM +0200, Harti Brandt wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Oct 2006, Joe Holden wrote:
>=20
> JH>Andrey V. Elsukov wrote:
> JH>>=20
> JH>> Hi, Doug.
> JH>>=20
> JH>> What you think about adding a new feature to dhclient - Alternate IP
> JH>> Configuration. This configuration can be specified in dhclient.conf
> JH>> and take effect when a DHCP server not respond. MS Windows have a
> JH>> similar feature.
> JH>>=20
> JH>Really I was hoping dhclient would have this sort of functionality whe=
re
> JH>it would resolve the ip given and set that as hostname, as as far as im
> JH>aware, isc-dhcpd will not send hostnames?
>=20
> Sure it does. On my machines I set hostname to "" in rc.conf and let=20
> dhclient set it. Works fine.

Once upon a time I implemented some code to add a default_hostname
variable to rc.conf which was then used by the startup scripts and
dhclient-script to allow the local network to override the name if
desired while insuring that the system had a name at all times (required
for laptop use).  I'd take patches to do this.

-- Brooks

P.S. hacking this into rc.local won't work longterm because addresses
will be assigned in a totally different context.

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE

--0OAP2g/MAC+5xKAE--