Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 16:35:22 +0800 (MYT)
From:      Dinesh Nair <dinesh@alphaque.com>
To:        Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Flashes and BIOS (was Re: I'm back.)

On Fri, 26 Jun 1998, Andrzej Bialecki wrote:

> I have to display my total ignorance here: I'm not sure what happens to
> the interrupt vectors once FreeBSD is booted - are they stored somewhere?
> are they changed at all? I kind of vaguely remember them being located
> somewhere near the 0:0 right after the POST completes (in real mode, just

i've written software - originally for win95 but works for any x86 OS
using the partition model - which allows a user to encrypt and lock a
harddrive. data and booting is disallowed unless a smartcard and the
proper password is inserted.

implemented this by dicking around with int13 hook on bootup to insert a
hook into my routines so i could do on-the-fly encryption and decryption.
i've got the assembler code still with me.

> {dial,net,isp}/{devfs,nodevfs}
>
> but this starts to be messy... Perhaps I'll come up with a feature-level
> configurator instead of defining separate types with their own

it would, andrzej. suggest that i keep 2.2.6 non-devfs as it's not too
stable on this strain anyway. otoh, based on jordan's postings, we're
expecting the 2.2.x tree to be fully merged into the 3.0-RELEASE by end
of this year. would need to consolidate both our versions then. its
currently easy as the differences are not too great.

Regards,                        /\_/\   "All dogs go to heaven."
dinesh@alphaque.com             (0 0)
|for a in past present future; do                                     |
| for b in clients employers associates relatives neighbours pets; do |
| echo "The opinions here in no way reflect the opinions of my $a $b."|
|done; done                                                           |