From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        "Harry M. Leitzell" <Harry_M_Leitzell@cmu.edu>
Cc:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, The Tech-Admin Dude <geniusj@phoenix.unacom.com>, Brian Beaulieu <brian@capital-data.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blowfish/Twofish

"Harry M. Leitzell" wrote:
> 1)      If Robert were to write code on a machine that
> is in a foreign country, would it have been considered
> exported?  (Xterm on a cs.hut.fi machine for example
> to code in)  Even if he is in the US while doing so?

Yes.

> 2)      Can we still do the moving by paper to another
> country and scanning it in?  Is that legitimate or
> been deemed illegal?

Yes and no. Yes, if you publish it it is covered by the first
amendement and you can freely export the book. But you will have
to *publish* the crypto, just printing it in a letter is not good
enough. Fortunately, getting your 'work' published is not that
hard; There are companies that specialize in low volume
printing...

> 3)      If I write a disk encryptor that sits on the MBR
> and transfer the disk out of country, is that a no-no?

Maybe. It was for quite a while but right now there are some
exceptions. You can get a license and promise that you won't give
the stuff to foreigners and you are allowed to take the software
with you. Check out the M$ or Netscape websites, I think it's
covered there for their 128-bit browsers.

Note: I'm not a lawyer and not an US citizen. Get legal advise
before you do something. Mail me in private if you need addresses
and such.

Cheers,
Jeroen
--