Date:      03 Jun 1999 02:29:18 +0200
From:      Juergen Nickelsen <jnickelsen@acm.org>
To:        Khetan Gajjar <khetan@os.org.za>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Best POP3 Server

Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za> writes:

> Around Today, "Juergen Nickelsen" wrote :
>
> JN>  (I switched back to IMAP-UW because I need the standard mail boxes --
> JN>  I found no good text-based IMAP client for FreeBSD.)
>
> Pine 4.10 is quite nice, and cross-platform. [...]

Yes, I have looked into Pine. I just wrote a (private) message to Adam
Nealis, who asked me "What's wrong with Pine 4.x?":

I found no way to display and conveniently access my mail folders on
the IMAP server with Pine. The only folder that Pine shows me is
INBOX; I can go to a single folder -- e. g.
"{localhost}Mail/something" --, but I can not (as the help text
suggests) list my folders by going to "{localhost}Mail/".

Other IMAP clients that I know (Mulberry, Netscape Messenger) show me
all folders in the previously selected hierarchy on startup -- this is
what I am looking for. With Pine I *can* access these folders, but
only by typing their name in full *each time* I want to access them.

Others are worse; for example VM (in (X)Emacs) seems to see IMAP
like POP -- get all messages from INBOX to a local folder and that's
it.

Perhaps I am simply missing something with Pine here. Do I?

On the other hand I find Pine not one of the prime contenders for the
Best Character-Based User Interface Award, but that may be just a
matter of taste and habits. At least it *does* contradict my habits
and expectations of consistency in several points.

Well, this is what's wrong with Pine from my (current) point of view.

--
Juergen Nickelsen