Date:      Thu, 27 Apr 2000 09:50:04 +0900
From:      <taguchi@tohoku.iij.ad.jp>
To:        glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Pre-alpha JDK 1.2.2 TimeZone (time) bug fixed!

Hi, Greg.

> > src/freebsd/native/java/lang/java_props_md.c uses setlocale(3).
> > So I think it's better that linling libxpg4.
> >
> > makefiles/Defs-freebsd.gmk
> > LDLIBS_COMMON = -lhpi$(SUFFIX) $(JVMLIB) -lgcc -lxpg4 -lc
> >                                                ^^^^^^ add this.
> > Thanks.
> > Taguchi,T.
>
> I must admit to not being very familiar with setlocale.  Could you please
> elaborate as to why the version in libxpg4 is preferred?

In /usr/share/locale, there are many locale data.
And libc includes setlocale(3).
So many people think that we can use many many locales under the
/usr/share/locale/.

But this is incorrect.
Actuary, setlocale(3) in libc supports very few locales, such as default C,
,iso-8859-*, and so on. Asian locales, such as ja,kr, and chinese locales
are NOT supported!

To support all locales under /usr/share/locale/, we must link libxgp4.

So current XFree86 applications link xpg4 defaultly.
See /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config/FreeBSD.cf.

Thanks.

PS: My modification is not tested yet. Because I'm using FreeBSD-4.0-stable.
Compilation was OK. But I can not test locale related features.

Taguchi,T.