Date:      Mon, 03 Feb 2003 22:09:02 +0100
From:      Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
To:        Wayne Pascoe <freebsd@penguinpowered.org.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fonts in Mozilla

Wayne Pascoe wrote:

> I've just installed Mozilla from ports (mozilla-1.2.1_1,2) and the
> fonts are AWEFUL! I've then installed most everything in
> /usr/ports/x11-fonts and added them to my Fontpath.

I have inquired about a similar problem these days and the solution I
got was to disable the use of XFT when building mozilla, i.e., build it
with "make install WITHOUT_XFT=yes".  This will disable the
anti-aliasing stuff altogether, restoring the appearance of Mozilla 1.1.
The advantage will be that you don't get a headache after 15 minutes of
using mozilla (the default anti-aliased fonts, even in the widgets and
all, you'll get with the port build look like you were very shortsighted
and took your glasses off, or at least that's how I imagine it.)
The disadvantage is that even huge fonts in the webpage don't get
smoothed.  Joe Marcus Clarke also posted a different solution using
fontconfig, by disabling anti-aliasing for fonts under a certain size.
I didn't try that yet and can't comment on its usefulness.  Check the
mailing list archive for the postings.

--
Matthias Buelow