Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2012 17:51:14 -0400
From:      Rich <rercola@pha.jhu.edu>
To:        rondzierwa@comcast.net
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS Checksum errors

To be honest, if ZFS says you've got a ton of checksum errors, I would
strongly bet in favor of your data being damaged over a bug in ZFS.

What're the underlying disks and RAID card?

- Rich

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 5:48 PM,  <rondzierwa@comcast.net> wrote:

> ok, i ran a verify on the raid, and it completed, so I believe that, from=
 the hardware standpoint, da0 should be a functioning, 12TB disk.

> i did a zpool clear and re-ran the scrub, and the results were almost ide=
ntical:

> phoenix# zpool status -v zfsPool
> pool: zfsPool
> state: ONLINE
> status: One or more devices has experienced an error resulting in data
> corruption. Applications may be affected.
> action: Restore the file in question if possible. Otherwise restore the
> entire pool from backup.
> see: http://www.sun.com/msg/ZFS-8000-8A
> scrub: scrub completed after 3h39m with 6353 errors on Thu Jun 21 17:28:1=
0 2012
> config:
>
> NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
> zfsPool ONLINE 0 0 6.20K
> da0 ONLINE 0 0 12.5K 24K repaired
>
> errors: Permanent errors have been detected in the following files:
>
> zfsPool/raid:<0x9e241>
> zfsPool/Build:<0x0>
> phoenix#
>
> along with the 6,353 I/O errors, there were over 12,000 checksum mismatch=
 errors on the console.

> The recommendation from ZFS is to restore the file in question. At this p=
oint, I would just like to delete the two files.
> how do i do that?
>
> its these kind of antics that make me resistant to the thought of allowin=
g ZFS to manage the raid. it seems to be having problems just managing a bi=
g file system. I don't want it to correct anything, or restore anything, ju=
st let me delete the files that hurt, fix up the free space list so it does=
n't point outside the bounds of the disk, and get on with life.

> if its finding corrupted files that appear to not have a directory entry =
associated with them (unlinked files), why doesn't it just delete them? fsc=
k asks you if you want to delete unlinked files, why doesn't zfs do the sam=
e, or at least give you the option of deleting bad files when it finds them=
?

> this is causing a lot of down time, and its making linux look very attrac=
tive in my organization. how do I get this untangled short of reformatting =
and starting over?

> ron.

the person or entity to whom it is addressed. In the event of misdirection,=
 the recipient is prohibited from using, copying, printing or otherwise dis=
seminating it or any information contained in it.