Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 12:34:25 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        Marc Fonvieille <blackend@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Printer Setup (11.3.1.1.1)

--FwyhczKCDPOVeYh6

On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 09:23:05AM +0100, Marc Fonvieille wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2003 at 05:31:47AM +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> > In this section there's the text:
> > In general, serial interfaces are slower than parallel interfaces.=20
> > Parallel interfaces usually offer just one-way communication (computer=
=20
> > to printer) while serial gives you two-way. Many newer parallel ports=
=20
> > and printers can communicate in both directions under FreeBSD when a=20
> > IEEE1284 compliant cable is used.
> >=20
> > Shouldn't the second sentence s/serial/parallel/ s/Parallel/serial/ ?
> >
>=20
> Ok, I fixed it in revision 1.79 of the chapter, Thanks!

Errrr... I'm not sure it needed fixing :)  Rather, IMHO rev. 1.79 might
need to be reverted.

Historically, parallel ports did indeed offer only one-way
communication: the computer sent data to the printer, and that was it.
Then things like EPP (the extended printer port) interface and friends
were developed, and the parallel port grew two-way communication, too -
this is exactly what the *last* sentence is talking about (EPP and ECP
were standardized in IEEE 1284, http://www.fapo.com/ieee1284.htm for
more info).

Serial port communications have always been two-way, AFAIK, albeit some
of them were just half-duplex, so only one side could talk at a time.

Thus, I think the text was correct as it was, before rev. 1.79 -
parallel ports were once only capable of one-way communication, but with
IEEE 1284 (EPP, ECP) they can do two-way now, while serial ports have
always been capable of two-way communication.

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net    roam@sbnd.net    roam@FreeBSD.org
"yields falsehood, when appended to its quotation." yields falsehood, when =
appended to its quotation.

--FwyhczKCDPOVeYh6

--FwyhczKCDPOVeYh6--