Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 2010 11:38:52 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: printing outside browser cuts off top and bottom of page

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 18:12:40 -0600 (MDT), Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Chad Perrin wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 03:49:24PM -0600, Warren Block wrote:
> >>
> >> The LJ4050 is a great printer, but it doesn't print PDFs natively.
> >>
> >> So you need to find what CUPS is using to convert PDFs to PostScript and
> >> adjust that.  It may be an A4 to letter conversion, or it's trying to
> >> "intelligently" scale the page to fit your printer.
> >
> > CUPS is a black box to me, filled with black magic.
>
> Me too.  That's why I use lpd.

If your printer can do PS, you don't need CUPS; lpd does everything.

If you just need to convert printing output (which traditionally *is*
PS) to PCL, you might be interested in using apsfilter. It's a lot
more lightweight than CUPS, better documented, faster, easier to
use. I do use it successfully with my HP Laserjet 4000 duplex, which's
PS is slower than its PCL, so I use PCL. I also think that apsfilter
keeps better to the tradidion and principles of UNIX, and it integrates
better with the FreeBSD OS.

\end{advocate} :-)

--
Polytropon