Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:34:12 -0800
From:      Jason Fesler <jfesler@calweb.com>
To:        Jack Patton <jpatton@intserv.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ppp.secret question & more..

At 10:06 PM 3/26/97 -0500, you wrote:
> Hi there,
>  I am trying to implement the ppp (not pppd) that comes with freebsd and
>no matter what I do it always says that there's no entry in the
>ppp.secrets file for whatever. Also, I was wondering is there is an easy

I don't have an answer for the secrets file; I ignore it, since I am the
only user for that machine :-).

>way to disable the diagnostic telnet-in port. I have been scouring the net
>for more than a week with no luck. I have read the manpages and handbook

"man ipfw"
grep for "firewall" in /etc/sysconfig
read /etc/rc.firewall
build a kernel that supports firewalling

:-)

My port 3000 is blocked from everywhere on the *outside* network; on my
internal network, anyone can get to it.  I could be even more precise and
block *all* telnets to it, if I had users on my system.

--
Jason Fesler  jfesler@calweb.com   'whois jf319'     | "Time is an illusion;
Admin, CalWeb Internet Services   www.calweb.com     | lunchtime, doubly so."