Date:      Sun, 5 Nov 1995 01:42:04 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org (Justin T. Gibbs)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Kerb Encr Telnet 2.1R WARNING!!

> >The question: how to prevent people from indiscriminately snooping on
> >Ethernets and stuff.  I don't like people to see what I am doing via
> >telnet - especially if it involves su  :-)
>
> Or, you could just get the telnet and eBones from -STABLE.  2.1 will
> ship with encrypting telnet if you install the kerberos distribution.

Yeah, riiiight.  I was delighted to see this when I installed the latest
SNAP:

Trying 204.95.172.243 ...
Connected to hummin.sol.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
ld.so failed: Undefined symbol "_encrypt_debug_mode" in telnetd:telnetd
Connection closed by foreign host.

telnet fails miserably too.

It looks like libtelnet is hosed.  I didn't load sources so I can't go
looking right now.  But I thought I should mention this so Jordan can cut it
out of 2.1, it would NOT look good for us to ship a system where telnet and
telnetd fail when you load the Kerb distribution...  or maybe whoever did
this work can go doublecheck what they did against my notes.

I actually loaded this system _twice_ so I know it's not a fluke (I loaded
the box and the root drive failed 18 hours later, geeez!)

It's just been a crummy kind of day.  Ah well.

... JG