Date:      Wed, 26 May 2004 13:34:31 -0700
From:      Bosko Milekic <bmilekic@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network buffer allocations: mbuma, PLEASE TEST

Hi,

  If you're running -CURRENT, please test this:

http://people.freebsd.org/~bmilekic/code/mbuma2.diff

  It is several extensions to UMA and mbuf & cluster allocation
  built on top of it.

  Once you apply the patch from src/, you need to rebuild and
  reinstall src/usr.bin/netstat, src/usr.bin/systat, and then
  a new kernel.  When you're configuring your new kernel,
  you should remove the NMBCLUSTERS compile-time option, it's
  no longer needed.  Clusters will still be capped off
  according to maxusers (which is auto-tuned itself).
  Alternately, if you want theoretically unlimited number
  of clusters, you can tune the boot-time kern.ipc.nmbclusters
  tunable to zero.

  Unless final issues arise I'm going to commit this tomorrow
  morning; it's been tested already quite a bit, and performance
  considered.  A paper is available and was presented at
  BSDCan 2004; in case you missed it:

http://www.unixdaemons.com/~bmilekic/netbuf_bmilekic.pdf

  It has been looked at for quite some time now.  Additional
  code cleanups will need to occur following commit, maybe.
  Future work is also possible, see the paper if you're
  interested in taking some of it on.

  Oh, and keep me in the CC; I have no idea if I'm
  subscribed to these lists anymore.  You should also follow
  up to this thread on -net and not on -hackers (trim
  -hackers from CC in the future).  Thanks and happy
  hacking!

Regards,
--
Bosko Milekic