Date:      Fri, 31 Oct 1997 23:58:57 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Phil Gilley <pgilley@metronet.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: Problem with ed driver in 2.2.5

>I have a 486/66 with an SMC EtherCard PLUS Elite 16 (SMC WD8013EPC).
>It worked flawlessly with 2.1.7.1-RELEASE and 2.2.2-RELEASE.  When I
>tried to do an FTP install of 2.2.5-RELEASE I kept getting machine
>lockups after the installer logged in and starting downloading the
>first tar file.  Following a suggestion from Doug White on -questions
>I was able to get 2.2.5 installed by using the 2.2.2 boot floppy.  I
>was then able to take a look at if_ed.c to see what was causing the
>problem.  It seems sometime after 2.2.2 a change was made to turn on
>the 0 wait state option on 16 bit cards.  This is what's causing the
>lockup with my particular card.  If I remove the "| ED_WD_LAAR_0WS16"
>from line 744 then all is well.  Does this point to a deficiency in
>the ed driver or my hardware?

   Hmmm. Not sure how to deal with this. The reason why 0WS was turned on
was to 'fix' a serious ISA shared-memory performance problem that a lot of
newer motherboards have - the 8K RAM cards are almost useless without it.
It turned out to cause problems with reading the EEPROM on the '790 based
cards, so I killed the option for those prior to the 2.2.5 release...I'm
surprised to hear that you're having troubles with a '690 based board.
It shouldn't be a problem on most systems - this might indicate that your
ISA bus speed is set too fast.

-DG

David Greenman