Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 21:42:13 -0600
From:      Sean Kelly <kelly@fsl.noaa.gov>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com
Cc:        mpcd@freebsd.org, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Snazzier FreeBSD home page

    Jordan> Yes, I think that presentation is important too, whatever
    Jordan> some other folks might say. :-)

Hope they weren't referring to personal appearance ... ;-)

    Jordan> What do you think it'd take to give these
    Jordan> proposed pages the same "professional feel" (or, ideally,
    Jordan> a *more* professional feel :-)?

*More* would be more better! :-)

    Jordan> Just the font changes you list above, or something more?

Well, I did list more than just font changes ... but since you asked
(you're going to regret this! :-), how about the following:

Aside from the font changes, the cleanup of the copyright area, etc.,
I think a bit more uniformity might help.  Let me explain: we have the
standard FreeBSD links down the left of the page, making use of that
visual element of the circle with the connected line.  But then we
have that 3-by-3 bulleted list featuring `Handbook', `FAQ', etc.
They're a bit too disparate.  If the bulleted items *also* used the
same (or a similar) visual element they would help unify the page into
a coherent whole.

Finally, the page is a bit like one of my old girlfriends: a bit
bottom-heavy.  This is likely due to the badges of honor (VIP, UGU,
Walnut Creek, etc.) being so colorful and occupying a fair chunk of
real estate.  I can see they've been sized down from their usual
prominences, so let's not make 'em any smaller.  Instead, we could try
enlarging the FreeBSD.org part to balance things out.  It'd help the
eye linger a bit more on the material and track in a top-to-bottom
fashion instead of immediately glancing through the other web sites
available just a mere click away at the end of the page.

Also, one small bug: pressing `FreeBSD QuickLinks' three times gives
JavaScript Error: http://www.freebsd.org/~mpcd/, line 57: RepPal is
not defined.  That's on Netscape Navigator Atlas Preview Release 1
running on FreeBSD 2.1.

Take care!

--
Sean Kelly