Date:      Mon, 07 Dec 1998 20:01:33 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   strings - elf vs aout

There's an annoying anomaly in the new version of strings.  The traditional
version specifically included tabs as valid characters for strings, while
the new one doesn't, leading to:

$ printf 'My dog has\tno nose' > foo
$ strings -aout foo
My dog has	no nose
$ strings -elf foo
My dog has
no nose
$

I run "strings" on lots of files (eg frobnoz.doc), not just executables.
This is irritating me specifically in regard to the INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE
kernel compile option which now requires "strings -aout" to recover the
config file.

Shall I devise and commit a fix for this behaviour?

Stephen.