Date:      Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:47:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IJPPP stuff

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Daniel O'Connor wrote:

> Hi,
> I just recently got a new internet connection, and I have managed to get IJPPP
> to talk to it, but I had to diable LQR's, otherwise it would hang up about 10
> seconds after making a connection.
> What I think is happening is that since the other end is denying LQR's, IJPPP
> isn't receiving them, and since I haven't explicitly disabled them, hanging up
> after a certain timeout.
> IMO this behaviour is a bit dubious :)

  Not necessarily.  A common terminal server brand, running old software
will accept LQR negotiation but won't always respond to LQR requests.  So
few implementations actually default to LQR on, or even support LQR this
was never seen as much of problem.

  I suspect that the ISP in question is using Livingston Portmasters with
pre-3.7.2 software.  If so, they upgrade for this and other reasons.

> |Daniel O'Connor software and network engineer for Genesis Software |
> |http://www.gsoft.com.au                                            |
> |The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to|
> |choose from. -- Andrew Tanenbaum                                   |

Tom