Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 11:59:57 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@dc.ispro.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: what is the difference between priority and nice levels

In the last episode (Dec 29), Evren Yurtesen said:
> What is the difference between priority and nice levels? Even in the
> manual of renice command it says that;
>
> > Renice alters the scheduling priority of one or more running
> > processes.
>
> It also says that priority is between -20 to 20
>
> But when I set the priority to 30 in login.conf the top program gives
> this kind of output
>
> PID USERNAME     PRI NICE  SIZE    RES STATE    TIME   WCPU    CPU COMMAND
> 12012 yurtesen    18  30  1424K  1112K pause    0:00  0.00%  0.00% tcsh
> 15130 root        28  30  1620K   868K RUN      0:01  0.00%  0.00% top

"scheduling priority" == "nice level" == the NICE column in top.  The
PRI column in top is a kernel internal priority that goes from -10 to
127 (I think), and changes as the process runs depending on what it's
doing.  You can usually ignore the PRI column completely.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com