Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 12:48:18 -0700
From:      Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        Ian <freebsd@damnhippie.dyndns.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: moused, psm0, and Logitech

On Sun, Jun 09, 2002 at 09:09:12AM -0600, Ian wrote:
> On 06/09/02 01:29, Gary D Kline wrote:
>

> > Having sweated thru 2+ days withmy switch, I believe ever word!
> > But:: how old is your  KVM switch?  If it has a PS/2 port only,
> > you should try
> >
> > Protocol "Auto"
> >
> > in the mouse section of your XF86Config.   at was what 3
> > other users suggested and what FINALLY got my Logitech working.
> > BTW, my switch is a "Belkin" ... cheap and generic.
> >
> > gary
>
> Odd that you should call Belkin "cheap and generic".  When people ask me for
> a KVM recommendation I always say "stay away from that cheap generic crap,
> buy Belkin if you want to avoid fuzzy video at high rez."
>
> I had trouble with my mouse and a Belkin KVM and FreeBSD that was fixed by
> adding "flags 0x0200" to the psm0 device in the kernel config.  I suspect
> that's a different problem than you were having, though.  (My problem was
> erratic mouse movement after switching away/back to freebsd, and I think is
> due to my Belkin KVM having really old firmware in it (1996 vintage)).

	We all have different realities as far as hardware (esp'ly) goes;
	they depend upon our perceptions and memories! of how hard something
	was to configure, to get working, to tune, &c.

	I've found most "cheap and generic" hardware to be a plus; so didn't
	intend that as a put-down.  My hub and most NIC's are Linksys,
	which is another cheap/generic.  The way I see it, these generic
	mfg's have to constantly make their stuff better or they'll be out on
	the street.

	That said, I'm still trying to see if I can make the Belkin 3-button
	"Classic" work in 3-button mode, PS/2 protocol.  ...I think I
	cheap'd out on this one!

	Anybody who has the Belkin F8E201NW working with /dev/psm0 has
	magic fingers;  I'd like to get my ten bucks worth... .

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix