Date:      Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:43:58 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        Joe Auty <joe@netmusician.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /usr/local/lib/compat and /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg

In the last episode (Oct 21), Joe Auty said:
> The other night I spent some frustrating time discovering that after
> updating from 7.2 to 8.1, for some reason some of the libraries in
> /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg were 32 bit on my 64 bit system which was
> causing several of my binaries to generate "unsupported filesystem
> layout" errors. I ended up copying the ones from /usr/local/lib/compat
> into /usr/local/lib/compat/pkg which seemed to fix the problem.

Did you also do a 32-> 64-bit migration at some point?  You probably should
have moved everything in /usr/local/lib/compat to /usr/local/lib32 then to
avoid problems.  32-bit apps shouldn't look for their shlibs in
/usr/local/lib on a 64-bit system.  You can manually move any remaining ones
by using the "file" command to identify 32-bit files, then moving them (or
removing them if you have no 32-bit apps anymore).

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com